From #openttdcoop wiki
The cargo concept
- Start with passengers. It brings a good revenue for moneymaking.
- To enhance the challenge try to bring every good of a type to one single production site - one factory, one power plant, one steel mill, one sawmill!
- Use the edges of a map for the production sites - choose different edges for every site in order to distribute the network load.
- Use Mainlines as a backbone of your network. Connect mines/farms/forests ONLY via Sidelines to your network.
- Think ahead: design your network to avoid bottlenecks later on.
- Use signs for things you built - its eases up bugtracking. Check our naming conventions.