From #openttdcoop wiki
For a list of games which took place on our sandbox server, look at Sandbox:Archive
If you heard of #openttdcoop and would like to make the first steps toward a membership in our community, simply read what you have to do at Membership and Sandbox_Server. Feel free to join our community of aspirants for #openttdcoop membership. You will find the server under the name "#openttdcoop Sandbox", Password, again, is coop.
rcon on the sandbox server is granted to every full member of #openttdcoop and SerriaRomero, Hans, ChrisM, Osai and uLiKo, last and not least is Brianetta the server owner.
The #openttdcoop "Sandbox Server"
Since new players on #openttdcoop often face rather complex games on our mainserver, we decided to set up a so-called "sandbox server" where players have the chance to learn the very basic concepts of cooperative gameplay. On this page, you will find a guide for the first steps into our sandbox.
All members of #openttdcoop have rcon to the sandbox server.
What are the keypoints of the sandbox server?
- First of all: BE SURE TO CONNECT TO THE IRC CHANNEL! No games can take place if we do not meet up in the channel! If you are not willing to join us in the channel it is not possible for you to become a player/member of #openttdcoop due to the lack of communication between the community and you.
- New players will get some tutorial guidance by full members of #openttdcoop but start playing right from the start
- Smaller maps will be played (256*256 - max. 512*512). One map lasts until everything is connected and/or optimized.
- There will be some kind of "building convention" like a "coding convention" on programming. This convention consists of some basic rules of "clever building". Be sure to know this convention (as listed below).
- Feel free to build whatever you want - you'll see the errors coming up in a growing network. Our Guides will help you on the very basics of good networking etc.
- This server is run by an autopilot - basically an answering machine for OpenTTD servers. It is configured to keep the game paused unless at least two players are connected.
How / Where / When ?
First of all, be sure to join our IRC channel. You will get information on games and servers. Players find together in the channel and start new or continue existing games. Also, passwords are exchanged in the channel.
An advantage of having a channel on the freenode IRC network is the circumstance of being "next to" the IRC channel (#openttdcoop started there). A disadvantage of using freenode is the need for registration in order to receive/send queries. Since we use queries to send our passwords to players you should be sure of being registered (it doesnt hurt, btw).
If you live in the european part of this planet you probably will have no problem related to our usual playing times. We mostly play between 18.00 to 01.00 (sometimes open ended) GMT during the weekdays and some afternoon sessions on weekends.
The Sandbox Building Convention
- First of all: set your signaling length to "2 tiles" (Patch Options).
- React on the ingame chat, we are not typing for nothing.
- If you build a Hub, name it like "Slh number / Name" for a Sidelinehub (which is, relating to our Guides, a Sideline-to-Mainline-Hub) or "Bbh number / name" for a Mainline-to-Mainline-Hub. Be sure to use exactly this string (with spaces etc) - if you view the signlist, the Hubs will be sorted in the right way then and only then. Also: if we are talking about Hubs and you want to discuss about them too, simply follow the signlist to the corresponding Hub.
- Cooperation is about communication! Always tell your collegues what you are doing and discuss planed tracks/junctions etc. Our members can - of course - help you on some decisions.
- Unilateral decisions by players are against the rules. Major changes to landscape, network and so on are to be discussed with other players beforehand, and agreed upon before implementation. Players should be on the IRC channel if the in-game chat is insufficient.
- There must be a network plan. The network plan must be followed. If players decide to do something different, the plan must change first.
- After you build new station and connect it to the sideline say "station_name connected".
- If you build big and complicated station like pick up or drop off, place a sign with your name near it.
- Take care about the rating at primary industry stations. It should be between 65 and 75 per cent. Not more, since the production of the industry would fall down.
- If you need depot and no one is nearby, build service center. Never build depot at side line.
- Don't log in as player. Change your name before connecting to our server.
- Network takes precedence over trains. Don't build hundreds of trains until the network is proven.
- Enjoy the cooperation.
Links to the Chatlog for the Sandbox
Overview of Games so Far
Visit the Sandbox:Archive !