From #openttdcoop wiki
Thoughts by Mucht
I like this idea. But we need some php-thingy for this:
- Account/Password system so we can control who downloads/uploads the game and when this is possible (if Sandbox has 0 players?)
- If someone has downloaded the game, the download is locked or at least marked in a way a users recognizes that another player is currently on this savegame
- On the reupload, a log file is written who has uploaded it and when it was received. We can track changes then.
- Also, we need a comments-box where players can write their ideas for next players and argue about bad things they fixed etc.
I like the idea because we could play REALLY huge maps again. But as Ammler stated, we need to ensure that MS/SB has priority. Also, I think we should start the map altogether and quit it at the time we made the network plan - then this map can be taken and put at the php-system.
- .*digging out a page of 2007*
- It is an interesting idea, and did the same with Diablo 2 characters (do 1 level, send it to the next player via email). I do not think a full support system is required - you can track the different uploads, if something goes wrong just use an older version again. Use the wiki to track updates (summary lines, or this page for more details). If the concept becomes popular, it might be worth thinking about some system to handle the games. --Mfb 20:56, 13 July 2012 (UTC)
I think it requires some huge motivation for the players to play technically alone. I did that with pro zone game 13 sort of. I think such method would be useful only for totally extreme games (which is rare) and in the end I think it is better to just use smaller maps. /V453000
SVN instead of PHP
Use SVN instead of PHP system for Tracking Changes? John 15:43, 27 August 2006 (UTC)
- This won't work as the savegame-format is in binary, you cannot see any "diffs". --Progman 21:37, 21 April 2007 (UTC)